Tuesday, January 11, 2011

a (sort of) hostage situation

After almost 9 years of living here, I was called to perform my civic responsibility at jury duty.  I was a "reserve juror," which meant that perhaps my services would not be needed. But, alas, when I checked the reserve message juror, I was told to report to Children's Court at 9 am on Monday. Total bummer because Monday is my day off of work, and Monday morning is my designated long run time (7 miles this week).  The upside is that Children's Court is near my house instead of downtown, parking is way better, and I like children.

A TPR (termination of parental rights) case was scheduled to start Monday, requiring a jury. Fortunately for us, after 2.5 hours of waiting, the two parties apparently reached a compromise, and the trial was off.  We got to leave at noon.  However, we were to return the next morning for another case that needed a jury. I really debated sneaking in my run, but a friend was watching my daughter. I couldn't show up at her house, all sweaty after she so kindly took my daughter. So instead, I stayed at her house for an hour while girls played and we ate lunch.

Day two of service, I arrived early to park, get through security, and stake out my space in the jury room.   We waited. And waited. And waited. Finally at nearly 11, they told us that they were planning to choose a jury today. The process would take 1.5-2 hours, but that we would not start until after lunch (can't work past noon in county offices).  Aaaaaack!!!!!!!  So we waited some more.  And about 30 minutes later, the jury manager-lady announced that she would call 37 people (of 54) who needed to stay to be screened. The rest would be dismissed. She called those names one by one, and each individual began lining up around the edge of the room. 1, 2,...15, 16,...19 (more than half!),...28, 29, ...32, ... and finally 37.   To turn up  the heat (and my heart rate), the woman had to stop halfway through the list to answer a phone call.

The odds were slim, but I made it out. She never called my name. Until the very end, when she handed me my letter stating that I had completed my service. I was free! Free! FREE!

I don't think I was ever so happy to go to work!  My patients were happy to see me.  And the night was complete after viewing the one-night-only premiere of "The Hood to Coast" movie. (really cool, but the R.Bowe team kept me crying my eyes out!)

I didn't get my seven miles yesterday exactly how I wanted to, but I did run for 70 minutes on the treadmill last night while watching the dramatic conclusion of "Eclipse."  It was a slow 70 minutes, not quite 7 miles, but the longest TM time I've ever logged.   (It wasn't too hard while watching Edward and Jacob) (yeah, I know. I could practically be their mothers. I still love that sh*t though)

No comments: