Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Holiday Magic

I have been thinking about this post for a while, but I need to make a better effort to get it out of my head onto the computer!!!

The holidays are upon us.  My kids are now 6 and 4, and this season has been PURE MAGIC for them.  First, T. understands tradition.  Last month, John and I debated celebrating Christmas at our cottage up north.  Santa would know where we were. That wasn't a worry. But a couple days later, T. said to me, "Mom, I think I just want to have Christmas here."  When I asked why, he said, "I don't know. Because that is how we have always done it. " "Like a tradition?" I replied.  And he said, "Yes, like it's our tradition."   How sweet is that!

I had to work the weekend after Thanksgiving, and my husband and kids thoughtfully put up the tree, decorated (the front) of it, and strategically placed the rest of the decorations around the house. I'm still tweaking things.

When I put some lights out front, T. and C. found three more strands that worked.  They thoughtfully brought them outside to be hung. We don't look like the Griswalds, but it is definitely brighter than my usual monochromatic decorating scheme!

We have decorated sugar cookies. We made a gingerbread house. Two My Little Ponies have moved in.  We made the clay ornaments in the Family Fun magazine. We made a snowGIRL.  Note the skirt.


We have piles of presents under the tree that are amazingly still wrapped, although several are for the kids.  T. asked his dad to take him to Target to pick out presents for C., John and I.  After about a week of C. shaking her gift and dragging it around the house, she seems to have forgotten it.


We talk about Jesus and His birthday. We light an Advent wreath made from shredded wheat and glue each Sunday. We talk about people who need presents, food, shelter and clothing.

We have had lots of discussions about Santa and St. Nick.  How they get in the house. Is St. Nick alive or is it his spirit that comes?  In all his first grade wisdom, T. did point out that saints are dead. Yup, must be his spirit.

It has been a joy to watch them marvel at the holiday season.

A couple of weeks ago, we had our first snow. I went out for my first snowy run of the season. I left at 3:45 pm. Not dark, but as I was out for the 3.5 miles, the light was dimming. People were turning on the lights on their homes, trees were lit through the windows.  In the glow of the lights, the world under a fresh blanket of snow, to be outside running, it was MAGICAL.

1 comment:

Christy Z. said...

That looks like a running skirt! Now we know what snow-GIRLs to at night. They run!

I bet it was magical! Pure Joy!